Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Sound Art Blog

I looked at the work of Gregory Whitehead. I especially found two pieces, Radio Degree Zero and Eva Can I Stab Bats In a Cave?, particularly interesting. The meditative backwards and foward mantra of Radio Degree Zero created an odd sense of calm. Each pause gave emphasis to the individual words which emphasized the entire phrase even while the words seemed unconnected. In Eva Can I Stab Bats In a Cave? Whitehead uses an altered series of the palindrome phrase to form a palindrome, as if each phrase style is a letter. Primarily, I was interested in the comical value of this piece, which is punctuated with large gasps between phrases. Overall, I find Whitehead's work interesting because of his focus on a voice, albeit digitized, as an means of artistic expression.
Link

No comments: